Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Big Reveal!


So yesterday I got my braces off!!! And what an amazing feeling it was to finally see my real teeth again! If you've ever had braces, you'll remember the thrill you felt when you ran your tongue over those smooth, straight, pearly whites for the first time. I got the braces removed first thing in the morning and by 11:00 AM, I was grinning like an idiot at any coworker I could corner, daring them to bask in the glow of my totally awesome perfect smile.

It's the little things you didn't realize you were missing that make moments like this special. Although I had no problem smiling at people when I had the clear braces on, you'd better believe I have no inhibitions about smiling now. And the orthodontist was so amazing - not only did I get a very sweet card signed by all the staff from her office, she presented me with a care package that included sticky candies, toffee, a Mars Bar and of course, a tooth brush. I ate the toffees as soon as I left her office on my way back to work. I didn't realize how much I'd missed the squooshy goodness of that candy. On my way home from work that same day, I stopped by the local farmer's market and bought a big bag of fresh, crunchy apples. There's something so satisfying about sinking your teeth into a juicy apple, let me tell you.

All in all, my second experience with braces was certainly a good one. I know it could have been worse if I'd had a set of metal brackets and wires slapped on my teeth. I've had interested glances, friendly compliments and most importantly, no comments at all; it was the people who never noticed my braces who really stood out for me. The fact the majority of people I came across didn't realize I had braces on made the experience of having them even more fun.

As if to drive the point home, I went to the mall with a friend after work today and we visited a couple of stores to look around. At one store, we had a conversation with a sales girl who had lovely teeth and a fine set of metal braces as well. I couldn't help but smile as I talked to her, knowing that my year+ time with SimpliClear had never made my treatment so noticeable. I wish she'd known about the SimpliClear option before she began her way to a better smile.

So now the second phase begins in treatment and I'm preparing to get a retainer fitted in two days. As a responsible adult, I have promised myself that this time, THIS time, I'm going to follow through and wear the thing to make sure I won't ever have braces again. This promise will be easier to keep this time around because I'm going to get a retainer made with a clear wire. I'll be able to reinforce my lovely smile while still enjoying the benefits of clear wire technology!

Am I going to keep smiling? You bet! And I'm going to start to tell people how I got this great grin too. Straight teeth make you feel like a million bucks, believe me. And I want everyone I meet to know that you can smile just as big as I can without the hassle of worrying about how your teeth look on the journey there.

Thanks for reading!
Liz

2 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I have been wanting to try Simpliclear for a long time but the price is much higher than the usual ones. May I know where did you get your braces done? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know my niece even screamed, “I’m free!” after her braces were removed. Haha! Congrats, by the way! I hope you didn’t get too excited to eat the food you missed eating. Even if your teeth are now perfectly aligned, you should still be wary of your eating habits. That’s actually a rule effective for a lifetime. Are you still on retainers now?

    - Cody Zieba

    ReplyDelete