Friday, September 23, 2011

Random High-Five Friday!


So I apologize that I’ve been absent from this blog for so long, but to be absolutely truthful, I haven’t had much to report. I’m chalking this up to the fact that I haven’t had a single person point out my braces over the last few months. I haven’t even caught anybody checking them out on the sly. Not that I mind that I haven’t had anything to report; I’m taking it as a good sign that nobody has seemed to notice my dental work!

However, yesterday I was standing in line at the grocery store and the lady behind the checkout counter kept darting glances at my braces. She seemed to be gearing up for a question.

“Hey - when did you get your braces?” she asked me finally.
“About nine months ago,” I said, feeling a bit self-conscious.
“Well, those are pretty great,” she said nodding towards me, still staring at my teeth, “I can barely see them.”

Well, a compliment is always a swell way to break the ice. We ended up chatting about her dentist’s recommendations for teeth-straightening treatments while she scanned my groceries through the checkout. I told her about my SimpliClear braces and why the clear wire they used was such a big deal.

“You know,” she said as she handed me my receipt, “you don’t look like you really need braces.”
“Well, I don’t look like I need them now,” I said, “they are pretty effective!”
She grinned: “Right on!” and gave me a high five.

It’s not every day that I get high-fived by anyone, let alone strangers in a grocery store. But it goes to show that people really do notice things like straight teeth and a nice smile. It also shows that some people can get pretty enthusiastic about dental work as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment