Thursday, February 24, 2011

Results! and the Great Curry Catastrophe of 2011



Well, I walked into my bosses office the other day and he casually asked me how the braces were working out. I said that they seemed to be working just fine and that I thought any day now I’d start to see some results. He squinted at me in an analytical way and declared that my teeth were already looking better. I was totally thrilled. And, on closer inspection of my dental situation that evening, I determined he was absolutely right!

However, I had a terrible scare a couple of weeks ago when I went out for dinner and a movie with my dad and stupidly decided to get a curry chicken dish off the menu at the restaurant. Yeah, curry chicken is absolutely fabulous, but it probably isn’t the best thing to eat when you’ve got braces. I found this out in short order when we arrived at the movie theatre and I went to the washrooms to brush my teeth before the show. Holy crap - when I looked at my teeth in the mirror, it seemed as though I had just ingested pure sunflower essence a la neon lemon. I freaked out for a minute. My first thought was - “Can I even go to work tomorrow? I mean, if I’m working in a retail store and have day-glo yellow teeth, isn’t someone going to be turned off by that?”

After I calmed down, I figured that the absolutely insane fluorescent lighting in the washroom was partially to blame for the extreme coloration. Nevertheless, my viewing of “The Green Hornet” (which was pretty entertaining, btw, if only because Kato was so awesome and totally hot, but I digress...) was punctuated by moments of panic about the state of my braces.

Returning home, I took another look at my teeth and realized that the braces and wire themselves were not yellow, just the orthodontist’s elastics that held them in place. Since I was due to visit the orthodontist in two days, I could breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the elastics would be replaced while they adjusted my braces. Whew! This was certainly good timing!

When I visited the orthodontist that week, I sheepishly admitted that I’d indulged in some curry a few days before. I was told that curry was definitely a no-no food for braces, along with any foods that contained yellow food coloring. Apparently yellow is the danger color for braces. This was very good to know.

Once the new elastics had been applied, I was allowed to give myself a glance in the mirror. I was pleased to see that my braces had returned to their lovely clear state! The curry coloring had certainly effected the elastic bands, but it had in no way effected the brackets or the wire. It was quite a relief when I realized that SimpliClear had not let me down!

Anyway, I am happy to say that my trials with braces are indeed paying off. My lower teeth have moved significantly and are almost completely in line again! The big difference is going to come later, when the gap between my two front teeth closes up forever. A little difference is a big encouragement to keep going and to see this treatment through to the end!

And I have resolved to go out for Indian Food the moment these braces are off.

Peace out,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment