Friday, January 7, 2011

SimpliClear Spokeslady


I work part-time in a retail store because I am a student and all. This makes the fact that I have clear braces all the more important because I am constantly talking to and smiling at people all day. So far, I’ve had a few people do a quick analytical double-take when I give them a big grin and tell them to have a nice day. It seems as though they think they see something, but aren’t quite sure if they’re looking at braces on my teeth or what and they are too polite to stare. I’m content to let ‘em wonder.

I told my co-workers about my braces right off the bat when I arrived at work today because I wanted to complain to them about the fact that I am not allowed to eat any candy right now. When I reflect back on what I was eating for lunch in high school in grade 9, I cringe to think about how my braces must have looked. For lunch I would typically indulge in an instant noodle cup, a piece of chocolate cake from the cafeteria and a diet pepsi from the north hall vending machine. So nutritious! And I’m pretty sure I wasn’t carrying a toothbrush with me on any given day. I wonder what I must have looked like with cake stuck in my braces during my afternoon classes. Yikes.

That’s the biggest difference I’ve found, now that I’m an adult orthodontic patient. You go a little further when you’re taking care of your braces and of course, your appearance in general. I’ve been toting around a little travel toothbrush which I use to scrub my teeth after every snack and meal. It’s a bit more of a hassle, but I’d rather endure a few minutes of brushing than obsess about whether I had something stuck in my teeth. Gracious! It’s just good common sense!

Anyway, my co-workers were eager to check out the braces when they found out I was wearing them. They had heard about BioMers and SimpliClear before, because I had told them about what my friend George was developing and had also let them know that I was interested in trying out the product for myself. I asked them for their honest opinion. The consensus was, now that they had seen the real thing for themselves, that they were kind of surprised that the braces were as clear as they were. They were actually kind of amazed at how unnoticeable they were - I don’t think they had been expecting that the “virtually invisible” claim SimpliClear was making would actually be true.

Anyway, I’m getting used to having these things on my teeth and, to be honest, apart from the food restrictions, they haven’t really been much of a bother. The orthodontist’s office called me today for a follow-up to see how I was doing. I told them I had no complaints. Braces are braces and it is a bit of a challenge getting used to having these things in your mouth. But so far, the fact that they are mystifying people who are seeing them at a glance proves that, at least, I don’t have to worry about any cosmetic effects.

On a side note, I was on my way home on the bus tonight and there was a young fellow standing about two meters from me who had a complete set of metal braces. I could see them clear as day from where I was standing. I wanted to go up to him and let him know that we were kind of buddies - braces buddies, if you will, but I decided against it. After all, he had those metal braces firmly affixed in his mouth already - and I didn’t think it would be wise to let him know that he could have had a more pleasing alternative!

So here’s to all my future braces buddies. I hope you guys have a chance to learn about these clear braces before you start down the path to dental perfection!

Over and out, Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment